Sunday, February 21, 2010

Week in Review

Well last Sunday, Julie, Jennifer, Skip, Mom, Grandma and myself all celebrated Skip's birthday by going to the local Indian restaurant which had a buffet. It was quite nice, and we all got to talk a lot there and afterward. Before we also got to watch Skip play his "Lost Winds" game, and during we all played Wii Sports which was fun. The Wii is a extremely social game platform even for those who are casual or non gamers.

Early that day Jennifer and I checked out the local Universalist Unitarian Church. It was nice. The hymns were different than what I was raised with, but the music was neither too pop nor too late 16th century protestant reformation. It had just the right element of message, spiritualism, and ritual that I felt it appropriate and uplifted by it. It was also surprisingly not a negative experience in the slightest. Jennifer enjoyed it as well. We're considering returning in two weeks to investigate it again. I do want to investigate a bit about the creed of the organization, but given the other affiliations of some of those who condemn it, I consider that high praise. What I know certainly doesn't offend me.

Did an episode of the podcast again. Two short stories in a row. I've definitely come to the conclusion that I enjoy it more when I get others to read things I've written than my own reading. Some things only come out right when I read them but I think the best mix is when I write something tailored to an individual person; and I think that while the Red Anvil Podcast will always be a mix of both stories and poetry, I think that I get more emotional and creative satisfaction from the poetry.

The new job is AWESOME. I am an intermediate Tech Writer for Firethorn, which is a division of Qualcomm. I work in the UX Design department and my coworkers and boss are thus far very friendly and obviously intelligent and creative. The thing we're working on is a program called Swagg, which is an Iphone app that will basically incorporate all those loyalty cards cluttering up your wallet and put them virtually on your smart phone to free up space. There are few things else that it will do that are cool but I think those are more in flux and not as publicly revealed about what it does.

Over the weekend we saw Shutter Island, which was quite good. We celebrated the Dog's 10th birthday, which he enjoyed. He mainly enjoyed it because he got a lot of attention and my 'present' consisted of half a pound of random dog treats that we dumped on the floor to give him a complete smorgasbord of treats.

Recently Read: Inkdeath (liked)
We're Watching: The Wire (3rd Season), Farscape (Season 1), Supernatural Season 6, Lost, Burn Notice, Fring
I'm Reading: Iosorch, Rossam's Universal Robots (the Play)

No comments: