Saturday, September 11, 2010

Blueprints for Life

So, I'm mixed. See, I ...hmmm...I'll use an analogy.

In "The Stand"...well, in "On Writing" the autobiography of Steven King, in which he writes about WRITING "the stand" he mentioned getting stuck in the middle of the book because his characters were doing exactly the same thing that the rest of society had been doing before he'd spent the first third of the book wiping it out. Of course, many consider the ending to be sub par to the rest of the book.

I don't want to be stuck in a pattern of failure. On the other hand, my ability to set goals and be organized is my greatest strength. So I can set goals and generally accomplish them, but I need to find a balance between setting goals that lift me up as a person and lift the world up, but that also leave enough room in my life for spontenity.

Here are my initial goals that I thought up at Dragon Con.

For my second life, writing, the next novel will be a contemporary novel set in the near future. Yes, that sounds like sci fi, but the difference is that I'm writing what I want to write, and there are a lot of things I want to say about the world and this is a way to say it. I also mean to write a few more scripts.

For my third life, producing, I've decided to produce a play, a documentary and a movie of some kind over the next year. The subject of the documentary has already presented itself to me but I'm not sure of the exact tone or scope. I also want to be cautious not to step on toes. For the film I'm not sure but I'm bouncing a lot of ideas.

For my fourth life I want to start a damn business. I have ideas but one way or another something will be in motion by the end of the year.

For my fifth live (yes, I'm starting that one already), I want to continue working with the Mythic Imagination Institute. Its a not for profit. I also want to work with a charity, but I'm not sure which one. I am patient but keeping my eyes open.

That still leaves who *I* am. I'm definitely going to start the martial art this year and I think I have the place picked out. Might keep up with the shooting. The larping...I was given caution on that and I'm considering. I am getting old, so I'm not sure one can continue to this kind of thing forever. On the other hand, I know being alone at dragon con sucked. So what I might also consider doing is getting involved with some local sci fi clubs/fan bases that ran tracks at Dragon Con. I'm still researching that.

Still, there are a few things that feel missing, but its a start. I have at least a frame work for a life and a direction, and those things will take up quite a bit of my time in the next few weeks anyway. While I'm open to dating at this point, I was given some very good advice about a few new skill sets I'd do well to learn....

How to learn them is still a bit of a mystery, but I'll keep you posted...

On the whole, things go well. Finished the first half of the graphic novel script, and writing a rather long kick ass review for a friend, though its an anthology which slows down how fast I can write it or the short stories all start to blur together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to continue to see your plans being hammered out. I'm looking forward to reading about those adventures. Love you!