Thursday, July 21, 2011

On the Job

Well it has been a hell of a month. So the new job is working well. Its been a slow start but things are starting to finally pick up, which is good. In a contract I am always pleased when I have stuff to do, because that means that there is work, and while there is work, I get paid.  I have some concerns still that it will end early, but I’ll have a better idea what the actual length of the contract will be as compared to what I’ve been told it will be in about two weeks. I’ve heard all different kinds of estimates, from the end of the year to march to perm to hire. But I know that while they want to hire more people they are generally understaffed for perm employees, but this project is so huge they’ve had to bring on contractors. One of my four bosses (yes….four bosses.  ) really likes my BA and PM work and wants to expand my work but not at the expense of the existing BA. The existing BA is a solid guy and will be the one setting my day to day schedule. He is slammed on a regular basis so I might get some more BA work as well which would be helpful. If I have BA or PM work in addition to Tech Writing work, there is no doubt in my mind that I’ll be able to be in this contract until March of next year. Otherwise, I suspect it will last until November.

Which segues nicely into my ‘long term plans.’ A solid perm job is something I don’t want to turn down if it comes up, despite my desires to move to the West, but I honestly just don’t see that possibility here. I’d like it to be such, but I’m not holding my breath. I do, however see the strong possibility of some absolutely excellent references. I had lunch with another of my bosses, who gave me absolutely vital information on the PMP. My current priority is to rebuild my reserve such that if the contract ends, then I can move instantly. By my estimates, especially with several imminent expenses coming up in the next two weeks, that’s going to be the end of October. After that, I’m going to start gunning for the PMP which it looks like I can take. I am still firmly committed to trying to achieve my goal to take the PMP this year, it’s just looking like it will be in December. I’m studying for it now just in case.

Had an excellent date last weekend. It was only a first date but I’d like there to be a second. She has a daughter home for the summer so they’re out of town this weekend. I’m out of town the weekend after that so this might be a situation where there is chemistry but the timing doesn’t work out. I’ll try a weekday next week maybe but we’ll see.

I have been formally approved to take my Green Belt tomorrow. I am very psyched. First of all because I’ve worked my ass off for this, and second of all because it is one of my life goals, the ‘big’ ones, and the green belt is the threshold I set for matched success. I like these guys enough that I’m probably going to at least finish out the year though I have already decided I am not doing this for another FIVE YEARS to become a black belt. Still, I have learned a lot and it is great fitness.
Writing is going exceptionally well. I’m meeting my goal of writing a thousand words a day. I’ve finished several stories this year. I’m having a short story that’s been chosen for a widely heard podcast called “Smoke and Mirrors” tomorrow night (I’ll post the link tomorrow). I’ve also been selected for the World Con writer’s track and I’ll have some professional writer’s helping evaluate my fiction. Finally, the feature film I wrote the script for, “The Sentinel Chronicles: Dawn of the Apocalypse” has been finished and will be airing soon. I’m looking for two or three more web series to write for as well since I’ve decided I really like that. I’m going to write a short film script (sci fi) based on the short story that was accepted to World Con’s writer’s track and also a feature film based on….???? But it will be set in the ‘real world’ though beyond that I don’t know.

No comments: