Monday, August 8, 2011

Mostly an Improvement

I think things will be rather interesting as my parents celebrate their 20th year anniversary this month on the 23rd. I still fondly remember being a total idiot standing on a rock when we first met Skip and shouting Echo into the park as loud as I could. I fondly remember this because I was 18 and a total twit. I fondly remember it because I'm not the person any more....much. ;)

I've had some very positive experiences over the last few weeks. I'm writing, though I'm spending more time blogging than writing fiction, still I'm easily going to meet my first goal for the year and probably the second. I'm enjoying a wide variety of social activities including hanging with friends, playoncon etc. Still, dating is not as strong now as it was earlier, but I almost wonder if some of that is internal given my rather firm plans to leave Atlanta after this contract is done.

The job goes well. Kind of slower than I'd like but honestly I'd never be happy unless I was slammed every minute of every day. There is a kind of rush to solving problems I truly enjoy, and I'm pretty good under pressure. No, strike that, I'm excellent under almost any kind of pressure. And I'm a lot better than I was before, which wasn't too bad.

I've had a few situations I'm not going to mention turn out rather well, and I have a lot of hope in others. Basically life is going very well. Not perfectly. Not without risks, but on the whole very well. Going to visit family this weekend in Houston. It should be interesting since I'm playing "Big T" the villian in the family movie. He's a bit cliche, but the Villain is the one who makes the story move. :) Plus this is a family renunion movie, not Citizen Kane. I'm also thoroughly impressed by my niece Melanie who wrote the script.

When I was a year younger I wrote a script I sent to Spielberg. I'm sure I've got it buried somewhere, but the thing that always stands out in my mind is this:

EXT: Kids ride up on bikes to a large statue holding a sword.

Kid #1: Wow, how'd that get there?

Kid #2: It wasn't there before.

Tom: I wonder if there is a way inside?

Yes, that's right. I put myself into my own damned script. Some day (maybe in a year or two) if I feel I'm getting too full of myself I'll find it and dust it off, and have it performed for the podcast in a whole new demonstration of awfulness.

None of which was in Melanie's script, and more importantly there were over 20+ characters that have rather rolls in it. And its a rather clever premise too. I'll post the link on youtube when its ready. It will also be great to see Brett after he's been gone for two years. It will be interesting seeing a recently returned missionary from my current perspective.

Let's see... I earned my Green Belt. I am quite pleased of that accomplishment. Speaking of Movies, I've finally finished and posted the reshoot of Dueling Morons. Took FOREVER mainly due to a rather anemic and sickly computer which Greg fixed. I still need to rerender tomorrow to include a credit I missed/did not have in the first pass. It has some glitches so I doubt I'll be submitting it to film festivals, though we'll see. Maybe.

No comments: