Monday, October 29, 2012

Freedom Day V

Thanks to Wayne and Helen for making this very memorable. Julia helped plan it. Thanks also to all those who offered their moral support but couldn't make it (especially Adam and Holly who came to the Shelter but weren't able to join us after the fact.)

There were some negative events earlier that day that distracted me (a friend decided our friendship apparently meant nothing) but the conversation and the meal was awesome. Later, Helen and Wayne invited us to a party of a friend of Helen's who had a band (that so far as I know has no name) though I think a working title might be Endless Jam Band...they were quite good though and it was this awesome party in this awesome old house which was decorated to the nines. We were planning on ending the evening at the Shelter which would have been a kind of dance Halloween Party (Wayne was a Speed Demon, Helen was Danica Fitzpatrick the race car driver, Julia was Little Red Riding Hood (the interesting version ;) ) and I was Harry Dresden. Alas, in the course of moving from the impromptu party to the Shelter, we hit a flat tire (a rock the size of Cleveland). While we waited for a tow truck, Wayne directed us to a nearby bar called, "The Church" which could not have been more thematically themed if I had tried. It ended up being an even better ending than I could ever have dreamed, with a vibrant party, the best Sangria in the city, fantastic costumes (including two poison ivy's and a guy dressed up as a squirrel with an inflatable tail, two guys dressed as swat officers that pretended to be actual cops for thirty seconds etc) and choir robes that you could dress up in. At some point I'll be posting a picture of me in my Dresden hat wearing a choir robe...:D

Earlier that day, Mom, Skip and I all drove out to see Julia and Todd. The baby is doing well and is still very very cute. They were both happy to see us and we had a lot of fun talking with each other though we weren't there for very long. Still, I was glad we could do something for Julie's birthday on her birthday. There was cake and Raging Burrito which is pretty awesome. :D

Last night, I hung out with Julia's family. We had a magnificent northern french (ie practically German) dish prepared by Julia's mother and then talked seriously about some wedding plans. When I made the list it made me realize that a) I have a BIG family and b) I have a LOT of friends, though the schedule of so many people might be extremely random. A few amusing bits included trying to explain the Mythic Imagination Institute, Handfasting and Stonehenge on Mom and Skip's front lawn. :D After everyone else scattered to do their own thing, Julia and I watched the original 1930's Frankenstein and the Woman in Black. Both were quite good, but what really shocked me was the fact that I realized I had *NEVER* seen the original Frankenstein. In fact, I might not have seen Dracula or the Wolfman now that I think about it. And I call myself a cinephile?

I've started reading "The Atrocity Archives" by Charles Straus. Quite good. Writing going well. Podcast going...ok. First episode got a lot of hits, second not so much but I'm taking the long view and will do it for at least a year. The irony of course being that the second episode is a LOT better than the first. Skip mentioned some things that make me think it may be hard for people to get to, so I'm going to try embedding it in my writing blog instead and seeing if that works.

Sergey has started up the Archer/Venture brothers group again which will be very fun to participate in/watch. Julia and I last Friday watched two more episodes of Buffy and she treated me to dinner at There and Main, a VERY nice restaurant in downtown Roswell. We're also jointly doing Yoga near Perimeter Mall and its pretty awesome. Its rather relaxing and it is good exercise too. I want to make arrangements to do it at least twice a week.

Always stuff going on, but that should cover the big things.

No comments: