Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Trip This Weekend

So I suppose the big news is that I asked Julia to marry me and she said "Yes." We are officially engaged. The date is not yet set.

We stayed at the Sautee Inn, which was nice and a bed and breakfast. They serve breakfast at 9am every morning which means sleeping in is a no go. Still, the place is gorgeous (1890's house) with antiques everywhere. It is the perfect place to get away from it all and the couple that runs it is very nice.

The first night we went to the festival hall in Helen, where they do the Octoberfest. It was fun, with lots of people in German costumes and the chicken dance. Julia and I each had a single drink and then went back. It was really more of a trip for flavor rather than enebriation.

After a huge breakfast the next morning we went on two hikes. The first was to Ruby Falls which has a gorgeous water fall after a half mile hike. The second was to Brass Town Bald, which had a hike to the summit I didn't take the first time I went there due to the super intense fog. They had a hokey but moderately cool museum and movie theater at the top, so we learned...all we ever really wanted to know about it, but the view was spectaular and that's where I asked Julia to marry me.

Upon return, ate in Helen (don't remember the name of the place, sorry,) but the food was fantastic. Julia got a bracelet made of stones from different parts all around the world. The glass blowing shop was fantastic as usual, though it was interesting this time because the guy who worked there basically was spouting communist libertarian propoganda (and yes, that is a weird combo but that's what he was doing) but his skill was on display for all to see and the guy is a real master. I got a box I plan to open in 20 years from the 'random box' pile.

We went back and had a lovely evening watching the stars and rocking. And other things. The next morning after breakfast we headed back and I dropped Julia off at home.

Life is going to become interesting after a while. :D

1 comment:

little.monkey said...

Congrats bro! I'm happy for you guys:)