Monday, September 29, 2008

Life Continues

Jennifer and I went to a rather nice Thai place on Wednesday to celebrate her getting her degree. It was very good food and really good service. Quite frankly, it may be the best Asian food (certainly Thai) that I've ever had. Kind of the opposite of a Mexican place we ate at the other day that we went to mainly because of a coupon book. The food wasn't so bad, but the ownership had chanced and they wouldn't honor our coupon. They did take personal checks but we had to make the check out to some random person. Not exactly an experience that engenders confidence.

Right now I am reading, "River of the Dancing Gods" by Chalker. Mindless fun from the 1980's. I got the book at the same used book store we went to with grandma two weeks ago. We took her out to go used bookshopping and it was pretty fun.

We spent some time Saturday night with our former next door neighbors. They helped Jennifer out a lot before I met her and watched our dog a lot when we used to live in Forest Park. They are losing their house and are declaring bankruptcy. One of them works in a day care and the other does extremely physically demanding day labor for three of the local county water systems. We played Cranium, which they had never played before, but it was a fun evening. Kind of puts things in perspective.

We're trying to alter our eating habits a bit. I do a lot of the cooking, but that primarily involves multiple rotatable combination involving cans and pasta. Jennifer's meals are much more interesting and she planned out things and gave me a grocery list. Of course, it took much longer to shop for some of this stuff, but it should work out well in the long run. I'm going to try and learn one or two of the things she cooks. I'm mainly a fan of stove top or microwave cooking though. My experience with ovens doesn't do well; and I don't touch grills.

Gas is still scarce here in Atlanta. I have a half tank and 32 mpg on my Toyota echo so I'm not too bad off compared to most but being paranoid I still have my eye out on the various gas stations. Either they have lines or don't have gas anymore. Going out for lunch today in a weird angle and time in hopes of catching one without lines that does have gas.

I still have the original bank account I opened at BYU. Its a credit union, so we're moving a bit of our reserve into that bank...just in case. We WERE talking about opening an account in Europe but now they're nationalizing banks as well. It isn't so much that we're worried about losing the money, but if things go really bad, it might take a few months for the government to get around to giving it to us. As long as we have things spread around it shouldn't be a problem, but I certainly don't intend to have all of our eggs in one basket.

1 comment:

Christy said...

That's pretty crazy about the Mexican place... I think they should have honored the coupon still... especially since it's what brought you in. The check thing is a little scary.

I'm not sure microwaves make the healthiest meals but I guess it's better than a deep fat fryer.

The bank thing is pretty scary.