Monday, March 2, 2009

Descent into Madness - Day 17

Things are looking up, which is good because they're also getting worse.

I have potentially had an offer...kind of. It is one of the two interviews I've had and he's said he wants to contact me to 'move things forward'...but I haven't heard anything else. I also have a live in person interview tomorrow morning. In 17 days, I've had 11 placements (Recruiter calls and sends my resume to an actual person with an actual job) which in 3 weeks is a very good ratio even during boom time.

In fact, it generally takes at the least a month to get a job no matter what the climate may be. Which is good, because now that I've gotten my severance in one lump sum, plus tax return, I get to see a slow whittling away at the reserve until we get a second source of income despite Jennifer's income and despite our current reduced expenses.

The bad news is that I had forgotten how damaging unemployment was to my psyche. After two years of steady employment, you forget how much one begins to play games with one's own mind. Exercise and spending time Jennifer reduces this, but it will only get worse over time. One questions one's worth. Much less writing or studying.

I have the final from the bottom layers of Hell tomorrow which I MUST pass to graduate in May. Getting this close only makes the stakes that much higher, especially with student loans coming due. The future is uncertain but education is always a good thing to have in almost any historical storm....and if we're getting raided by the visigoths, then I've got more important things to worry about.

This weekend we had our last big 'outing' until I get a job. We ate at the Imperial Fez for our anniversary, which is a Moroccan restaurant. They have a five course meal where you eat with your hands. They put a towel over your shoulder. The food was quite good and the atmosphere was very nice.

We watched "3:10 to Yuma" and "Eagle vs Shark" both of which were good. Eagle vs Shark is not a family film but it is a bit of a quirky offshoot of Napolean Dynamite. 3:10 to Yuma is a western and a remake but a fascinating character study, particularly the Villain.

3 comments:

Christy said...

Keeping our fingers crossed for the jobs.

Unknown said...

It's an awful thing. Skip sometimes seems like he's on a balance board on a high wire in a thunderstorm.

Now that WIT is opening and I'll have Sunday nights free again, y'all should come over for dinner.

Have faith in yourself - it'll all work out. I love you.

Anonymous said...

If we don't come over this Sunday we'll definitely come over the Sunday after that.