Monday, March 16, 2009

Descent Into Madness - Day 26

Well. The Job Market officially sucks.

When I first got laid off, there were all kinds of prospects. Now there are none. There are about 3-4 jobs on the job boards for jobs I've already submitted to, either last week or the week before, but nothing new. What is truly frightening is that there aren't even any government jobs.

The economy supposedly shows signs of getting better, but that isn't reflective in the jobs available for Technical Writers. I guess I didn't set my salary low enough to stay competitive.

Well, when (if) I graduate, I'll be setting it plenty low, since I'll effectively be changing careers and trying to gain experience as a Project Manager. When things get better, the salary should go up considerably; higher than what I was earning as a Tech Writer. In theory. Of course in the mean time, the insurance company has now declared two of Jennifer's medicines 'Category IV' which means we pay an extra $2500 a year to get them. And then there are the student loans coming due. The latter we're pretty sure we can consolidate into the longest period available, which will help, but its still not where we want to be.

For various procedural reasons, a lot of my writing isn't going as fast as I'd like, but that should pick up soon. Especially since I need something to stay sane in the void of things that are at the moment. Finished a major (and annoying) gaming project this weekend.

The last class looks like it will be...problematic, but we'll see. We saw "The International" at the theater over the weekend. It was OK. But it was definitely Netflix material.

3 comments:

Christy said...

Sorry things are going so slow. And that insurance companies stink so bad.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the empathy. :)

Jennifer is optomistic at least so we'll see what happens. :)

Fierce-Rabbit said...

the insurance company has now declared two of Jennifer's medicines 'Category IV' which means we pay an extra $2500 a year to get them

GACK! Friggin' insurance companies. Someone really needs to crack down on them as they're sucking up more and more money and paying for less and less.

Thinking good job-finding thoughts for you.

*hugs*