Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The incompotence of American Express

Sent to American Express:

To whom it may concern,

This morning I found out that, 4 days before we were to go on vacation, our card was full of over $2300 worth of fraudulent charges. I was informed in no less than 3 phone calls to your customer service department, that it would take 30 days to resolve this issue, that I would get no details about what was going on or why, and that my card was essentially locked for 30 days so I could not continue accrueing rewards. I recently spent 150 hours dealing with someone ELSE hitting my car, I am in no mood to lose more money due to someone ELSE's actions.

Your fraud department has informed me that there is nothing they can do about this, besides, at best, to wipe the fraudulent transactions from our record THIRTY DAYS from now. This is in reference to case XXXXXXXX. Since apparently your fraud and customer service departtment can't do anything about this, I have thus far contacted:

Hank Johnson
Johnny Isakson
Saxby Chambliss
United Airlines
FTC Identity Fraud
Treasury Inspector General
Chicago Police
Illinois Attorney General
Interpol
Guragon Commissioner of Police in India
Georgia Attorney General

And I will be contacting anyone else who I think might be able to do something about this. Furthermore, when I am asked about American Express, I'll tell them "Well they have great customer service, but you'd better hope no one jams up your card with criminally fraudulent charges because apparantly it takes them 30 days to be able to do anything about getting the fraudulent charges off."

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Thomas C. Ricks

3 comments:

Christy said...

That BITES! Sorry dude :(

little.monkey said...

Credit card companies stink. Sorry bro.

Anonymous said...

After the way AM screwed over the Shakespeare Tavern (the same way they've crewed over lots of Americans) you're lucky they didnt just cut your credit to "amount owed" and hold you liable for the fraudulent charges. Good for you for ranting to legislators and everyone you can. *hugs*